|Birth*||22 March 1829||Coventry Township, Summit County, OH, USA1 |
|Marriage*||7 April 1854||Bertha E. Agard; USA1 |
|Marriage*||16 July 1873||Phoebe Ann Wright; Medina County, OH, USA; Marriage License D:459, T.C. Warner, Medina County, OH2,3 |
|Burial*||1911||Glendale Cemetery, Arkon, Summit County, OH, USA; Section C, Lot 314 |
|Note*||14 April 1865||Glendale Cemetery, Arkon, Summit County, OH, USA; Hiram purchased Section C, Lot 31 at Glendale Cemetery. Records show this:|
Plot owner, 360 Sq. Ft, sold 4/14/1865, deed # 319, vol 3, page 62. Transferred 7" adjacent lot to W.W. Falor 5/29/18794
Witness: William Wallace Falor
|Census*||1880||Columbus, Franklin County, OH, USA; Family History Library Film: 1255016, NA Film Number: T9-1016, Page Number: 137A5 |
|(Witness) History||circa 1882||"Hiram S, Falor, Akron; born in Coventry Township, at the farm upon which he now resides, March 22, 1829; the son of George Adam and Nancy (McCoy) Falor, who were early settlers of Summit County; he received a knowledge of the common branches in the schools of native township; when 19 years of age, became an apprentice in the harness-shop of Orrin Beckwith, of Akron, remaining there three years; then started a shop of his own, and carried on business some ten years. In the spring of 1860, he went to California; for a short time clerked in a wholesale store at San Francisco; then went to Humboldt Bay, crossed over the mountains to Salmon River and mined for four months. During the latter part of 1860, he moved to Virginia City, Nev., then a Territory, and opened the first harness shop ever started in that place; his establishment was called the “Pioneer Harness Shop.” He served as a petit juror in the first court ever held in Storey Co. During the early part of 1861, he organized the Virginia City Grays, and now was elected Captain of the company; when the rebellion was inaugurated the company tendered their services to the Government, but were declined by the national authorities who, at the time early in the war, did not wish to pay the expense of transporting the company to the seat of hostilities. In September, 1863, Falor returned to Akron, remaining for some five years in the city. In 1868, having purchased 30 acres from his father, he moved to Coventry Township, erected a residence on this land, a part of the old homestead, where his family now resides. In January, 1880, he was appointed by Hon. Joseph Turney, Treasurer of Ohio, to be Messenger in the office at Columbus; he also had charge of the Attorney General’s office and the Mine Inspector’s rooms at the Capitol. Mr. Falor was, on April 28, 1853, elected by the council of Akron to be Deputy Marshal of the place, and served for two years. He was Secretary of the Summit County Agriculture society for four years, and Assistant nearly ever since its organization: has been a member of the I.O.O.F. for over twenty years, and, as early as 1854, filled the office of Noble Grand in that order; has also been a Mason since 1852. He was Married, July 4, 1854, to Miss Bertia E, daughter of Benjamin and Bertia E. Agard, and by her had four children- Benjamin Stanton, died aged 8; Claude Emerson, now a member of Co. G, 10th Regiment of the regular army; Nancy Honora, died aged 7; Minnie Florence, now at home. His first wife died Jan. 2, 1872, and he married a second time to Mrs. Phoebe A. Lutz: two children being result of this union – Hiram, Garcelon and Phoebe. Mrs. Falor, by her former husband, is the mother of two children -Minnie C., now Mrs. Harry Flower; and Sylvester E. Lutz. Mr. Falor is now at the age of 52, is reasonable good health and circumstances."|
Taken from Page 880 of an unknown book, Top of page is labeled “Biographical Sketches”. Article Provided by Harry Liggett, Transcribed by Allen Falor, 2006
|(Witness) History||1892||“Hiram S Falor, born in Coventry, March 22, 1829, and now residing on a portion of the original family homestead, by appointment of council, served two years, 1853, ’54, as assistant marshal of the incorporated village of Akron, also served as deputy sheriff under Sheriff Seward, during the Parks murder trial in 1853-54; and from 1880 to 1884, faithfully and efficiently performed the responsible duties of messenger of the State treasury, in Columbus, during the administration of Treasurer Joseph Turney, and retaining the position two months under “Uncle Jo’s” Democratic successor, Hon. Peter Brady”|
Source ”Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County”, Page 720, 1892 by Ex-sheriff Samuel A. Lane. Article Provided by Harry Ball, Transcribed by Allen Falor, 2006
|(Witness) History||1892||“Hiram Silas Falor born in Coventry, March 22, 1829; common school education; harness maker in Akron 15 years; in 1860, clerked in wholesale store in San Francisco, worked in mines and established pioneer harness shop in Virginia City, NEV.; in 1861, organized and as captain tendered Virginia City Guards to the government, but for lack of transportation facilities offer declined; 1863 returned to Akron, 5 years later removing to farm in Coventry, where he has since resided; was several years foremen of one of Akron’s pioneer fire companies; deputy village marshal two years; secretary Summit Country Agricultural Society two years and assistant secretary two years; messenger in office of State Treasurer Joseph Turney, at Columbus, 1880-84; member of police force, in charge of music hall during Ohio Centennial Exposition in 1888; member of Masonic order 35 years; filling all the offices from the lowest to highest in Summit Lodge, No. 50, L.O.O.F.; was U.S. census enumerator for Coventry in 1890. Mr. Falor was married to Miss Bertha E. Agard, July 4, 1854, who bore him four children, two of whom, only, are now living – Claude Emerson, now in regular army, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and Minnie Florence, now Mrs. Elmer C. Ellsworth, of Coventry. Mrs. Falor dying January 4, 1873, Mr. F. was again married, to Mrs. Phoebe A. Lutz, of Westfield, Medina County, July 16, 1873. They have two children – Hiram Garcelon, born August 12, 1879, and Phoebe Fanny, born March 6, 1881.”|
Source ”Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County”, Page 715, 1892 by Ex-sheriff Samuel A. Lane. Article Provided by Harry Ball, Transcribed by Allen Falor, 2006
|(Witness) History||1898||"Hiram Silas Falor, a well-known citizen of Coventry Township, Summit country, Ohio, was born on the farm on which he now lives, March 22, 1829, and descends from one of the old pioneer families of the county, of German origin.|
Adam Fehler, as the name was originally spelled, was the grandfather of subject, was a native of Germany, and was the founder of the present Falor family in Ohio. On coming to America, he first located in Pennsylvania, residing in Reading a few years, and then came to Ohio. Here he lived in Stark County some time, then bought a farm near Wolf Lodge, now within the corporation of the city of Akron, but died a number of years ago in New Portage, Summit County.
George Adam Falor, son of Adam Fehler, and father of Hiram Silas, the subject, was born in Lower Smithville, Northampton county, Pa. July 17, 1798, and in 1809 was brought to Ohio by his parents, and after having lived in Stark county about five years, located on what was later known as the Thornton farm, and which now constitutes a populous part of the city of Akron. He remained with his father until he was twenty-five years of age, and then bought from the government what is now the well known Falor farm of eighty-two acres in Coventry township, at $1.50 per acre, which he cultivated many years, besides following his trade of stonemason. George A. Falor was three times married—his wives being sisters, and named respectively, Nancy McCoy, Rachael McCoy, and Mrs. James (McCoy) Wilson. To the first marriage were born four children, viz: Milo J., deceased; James M., deceased; Lucinda, now Mrs. John Gottwalt, and Hiram S., the subject. To the second marriage was born George W., now deceased; Oliver P.; Mary A., now Mrs. J.A. Long; Thomas J.; William W., deceased; Henry C., deceased; Marytha E., married to Henry Acker; Lillie A., wife of George L. Adkins, and Perry T. To the third marriage no children were born. Mr. Falor was a captain of a militia company and also a drum-major in a company which he had aided in organizing. In politics he was a free-silver democrat and later a Republican, and was a man of great influence in his community. Having acquired a competency through his good management, he finally retired to Akron, where he died of dropsy June 29, 1868, an honored and venerated pioneer.
Hiram S. Falor, the subject, received a sound common-school education and early learned the trade of harness maker, a business he conducted for fifteen years with unqualified success in Akron. In 1860 he went to California for a time, clerked in a wholesale store in San Francisco, worked for a brief period in the mines, and then established the pioneer harness shop in Virginia City, Nev. In 1861 he organized the City guards, and, as captain of this company, tendered his services to the government at the outbreak of the Rebellion, but for the lack of means of transportation at the time, the tender was declined. In 1863 Captain Falor returned to Akron, and five years later removed to his present farm, of which mention has already been made, and which now comprises eleven acres just outside the corporation limits of Akron, and also of sixty-three town or building lots.
Captain Falor has ever been a consistent republican and as faithfully and ably filled many offices of honor and trust, political and otherwise. For several years he was foreman of one of Akron’s pioneer fire companies; was deputy village marshal two years; as secretary of the Summit county Agricultural Society two years, and for two years its assistant secretary; he was a messenger in the officer of State Treasurer Joseph Turney, at Columbus, from 1880 to 1884, and was a member of the police force in charge of Music Hall during the Ohio Centennial exposition of 1888; was census enumerator for Coventry township in 1890, and was a justice of the peace from 1893 to 1896. Fraternally, he is a Royal Arch Mason, and for thirty-five years has been a member of Akron lodge, No. 517, F. & A.M. As an Odd Fellow he has filled all the chairs of Summit lodge, No. 50, but is now non-affiliating.
Captain Falor was first married July 4, 1854 to Miss Berth E. Agard, who bore him three children, viz: Benjamin Stanton, who was born August 21, 1855, and died October 30, 1874; Claude Emerson, who was born December 23, 1856, served in the regular army 14 years, seven months and sixteen days, and was honorably discharge for disability; and Honora H., who was born January 18, 1859 and died January 27, 1865. Mrs. Bertha E. Falor died January 4, 1873, and ardent and consistent member of the Baptist church and July 16, 1873 Captain Falor married Mrs. Phebe A. Lutz, of Westfield, Medina county Ohio, a daughter of Marin and Fanny Wright and mother of two children by her first husband; Minnie, who died May 1, 1881, and Sylvester E. Lutz. To this second marriage of Captain Falor have also been born two children, Hiram Garcelon, August 12, 1879, and Phebe Fanny, March 6, 1881. Mr. And Mrs. Falor are members of Main Street (Akron) Methodist Episcopal church, of which the captain is a trustee, and toward the erection of which edifice he was a liberal contributor. He possesses to an unusual extent the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens and is universally recognized as one of the most public spirited and useful members of the community in which he has so long had his being."
Source "A Portrait and Biographical Record of Portage and Summit Counties" pages 252-253. Article Provided by Harry Liggett, Transcribed by Samantha Falor, 2005